Canadian Music Industry legend, Billy Bryans, passed away recently of lung cancer. As I mentioned above, Billy co-founded The Parachute Club, a famous 80’s band in Canada (“Rise Up”). He also drummed for me at one point, and he produced the single that put me on the map in the early 90’s as a Canadian reggae artist. If anyone knows what it takes to be successful, Billy did.
So here’s the thing. Any picture you have in your head of a glamorous perfect life, just go ahead and wipe that slate clean. Being successful and leaving a legacy does NOT mean you’re perfect. It does NOT mean you were the best person in the world. So what does it mean to live a legendary life and leave a legacy behind?
- You have a vision – you know what you want and you go after it. You don’t wait for the right doors to open – you carve your own doorway and walk right through it. So what’s your vision? And what kind of doorway are you going to create to walk through?
- You take a stand for what you believe in. Billy stood for several causes, one of which was diversifying and culturally enriching the country through innovative musical collaborations with musicians of very different backgrounds. What do you take a stand for? How are you taking a stand through sharing your gifts?
- You forge ahead, letting your passion drive you, no matter what. Billy was at the forefront of the success of a lot of cutting edge bands and artists, including me. He wasn’t just willing to take a risk on emerging musical innovators. Doing that is what fuelled him. He craved that feeling of knowing that he had helped one more way-far-from-mainstream artist get on the map. What are you passionate about? What fuels you?
- You screw up – and piss people off – and you keep going anyway. Billy wasn’t perfect. Putting him on a pedestal would be ridiculous, and he wouldn’t want it anyway. His ego got in the way sometimes. He messed up some things, including his own health. Because he was REAL. Those celebrity rag magazines are always catching people in the act of – heaven forbid – not being the perfect idol people had in mind. Well, in order to be successful, you’re going to have piss some people off. Why? Because if you’re pleasing everybody, you’re not taking a stand and you’re not being real. And if you’re not taking a stand, then you can’t leave a legacy behind. Are you still trying to please everybody? Really take stock. Where could you be more bold in standing in your power?
- You create community around doing what you love. Although Billy was a private person, he was most known for creating community. If you create community, all kinds of magic will happen. You get to connect people to people. You get to find the resources you need, very easily. You get to share your gifts in bigger ways, with more people. Billy Bryans was an expert in creating community, and the evidence of his ability to gather people of diverse backgrounds together was very obvious at his Celebration of Life event. How are you already creating community through sharing your gifts? How else can you create community through your business?
So get out there with your gifts. If you want to “be nice” and help “everyone,” then you will limit the good you can do in the world. Seriously. Your legacy will create itself, if you let your passion lead you, take bold steps and don’t look back.
Love & Blessings,
Brenda MacIntyre, Medicine Song Woman
- Want to dive right in and get some support? Head over here.
FOLLOW ME ON SPOTIFY – MUSIC FOR THESE CRAZY TIMES:
- Follow My Artist Account on Spotify.
- Follow my Global Pandemic Playlist on Spotify. The studio (CD, not live) version of the songs I sang in the livestreamed concert are also in this playlist.
- Follow the RENEWAL Playlist for springtime on Spotify