Your FREE Audio
What does your so-called work life balance look like right now? Or better yet, what kind of balance runs through your life and business right now? Just draw a big circle on a piece of paper and divide it into 4, so you have a medicine wheel – or print yourself a copy of my blank Medicine Wheel of Success. So section out work, play, solo and family – one in each section. What does it look like?
What mine looks like right now is pretty good. I just visited with family and delivered a VIP Day to a client in BC last week, gave back to the Native community by speaking at a conference, took 2 days off for solo time, went ecstatic dancing with friends for playtime a few days ago, had a break tonight to go for a walk with my daughter, and in the middle of it all, I got really super sick to my stomach over the weekend and spent a day and a half in bed doing what I know was a major energetic (and obviously physical) clearing. Is this balance? Yeah. Being sick wasn’t fun but it was part of the picture, and everything else has been amazing. So this is what I mean.
Living life in balance doesn’t mean it’s going to be perfect. It means you can handle the unexpected curves on the path.
After all the hard work I’ve done and continue to do, I am super grateful to have found a way to create a beautiful balance between my business, family, solo time and playtime, even as a single mom. Some people say balance isn’t possible but it is – if you’re willing to go off the beaten path and walk your own path to get there and you can accept that sometimes balance doesn’t look like a perfect circle.
By the way, you’ll notice I didn’t say spiritual time. That’s because spirituality is like a river feeding my life and business. Don’t drop the ball on your spirituality and everything else will flow more smoothly (HINT: That’s what the middle circle in the Medicine Wheel of Success is for).
So what does healthy balance really look like, especially for an entrepreneur?
Well, the Medicine Wheel of Success is a little more detailed than just those 4 bits we’re talking about here, but this is a great start, and if you want to get deeper with this, I’ll tell you how in a minute.
Sometimes it’s perfect. Revel in those moments of the perfect circle, where family, solo time, playtime and business live together in harmony.
Most times it isn’t perfect but it is possible. Here’s what I’ve learned about balance while growing my business to multiple 6 figures in 3 years:
1. Overworking takes a toll on the body, mind and spirit – but it’s the easiest trap to fall into when you’re going for your first 50-100K and even after that if you’re not mindful. It does take a lot of hard work at the beginning to build up momentum, build your confidence and experience in selling your services and doing regular marketing, so you’ve got to take your downtime when you can get it, and know when you’re most energized about the tasks you have to take care of. This way, you’re getting a lot more done in less time when you have the energy.
2. Schedule YOU into your calendar. Might sound crazy but what I have found is if I don’t schedule playtime and solo time into my calendar, it doesn’t happen. Some people have been shocked that I take a 2 hour lunch – but it’s one of the ways I claim solo downtime.
3. It’s easy to become a hermit. Don’t let that happen to you. If it already has, do what it takes to get yourself outside. Social media and online marketing are important, but even MORE important is getting yourself out in the company of like-minded people. People you want to be friends with. People you want to do business with. I’m an introvert so I get it about needing solo time – but we need to get out in the presence of people.
4. Being in “launch mode” all the time can make you feel like you’re chasing clients and have no time for YOU. It’s EXHAUSTING. I spent the first 2 years in this new form of my business in launch mode and it sucked! Literally! Sucked all my energy and time when I could’ve just spent a few hours a week talking to potential private clients instead. In case you’re wondering what launch mode means, I’m talking about having group programs, workshops and products to promote one after the other, so you don’t have time to focus on what will actually grow your income much more quickly – attracting and inviting a base of ongoing private clients.
5. You know what’s great about being an entrepreneur? YOU get to plan your day and your week how you want. For me, getting up at 10:30am or even later feels good to me. Going to bed at no earlier than 1am also feels good to me. What feels good to you?
You could sit with an elder for a whole week and still not have the full teachings of the Medicine Wheel, but you can have your own Medicine Wheel of Success Reading that will show you the deeper underlying energetic and spiritual balance that exists for you and the blocks that are keeping you from the success you really want. You can apply for a Medicine Wheel of Success Reading with me right here.
Please post your ideas below if you’re reading or listening to this on my blog. I always love hearing from you! 🙂
If you’ve enjoyed this SWEET Success Soundbyte, you can go get your free Medicine Bundle for Your Business, and a subscription to my SWEET Success Soundbytes, videos and ezine at SuccessShaman.com. I’m Brenda MacIntyre, Medicine Song Woman. Blessings of sweet success to you. Until next time, or as we say in the Ojibwe language, ba ma pii.