You ever have an experience where you could almost viscerally feel the ick factor oozing out of a person’s mouth or off their energy field as they talk to you?
When you’re experiencing grief, trauma or chronic pain, or when you’re sick or just feeling “off,” your boundaries can waver. It takes a lot more work in those cases to create and reinforce energetic and spiritual boundaries.
When my son died, I had a few of those but one stood out. Someone touting themselves as extremely spiritually powerful came into my Facebook inbox. They were manipulative from the very start. They commented on social media just a few days after my son died, about how rude I was for not acknowledging their private message of a “gift”.
The audacity and complete disrespect for the fact that I was in total shock and heavy grief was unbelievable. And then I forgot about it, and I forgot about them. I was not in the head space to delete and block this person. I still could barely function after such a heavy sudden loss.
One thing my son’s death has shown me is who is coming from a place of ego and manipulation and who is coming from a place of heart, soul and truth.
Sadly, in Covid times, I’ve seen a lot of the same, and it comes from within the spiritual community. Using Spirit to manipulate people is the worst form of spiritual bypassing there is.
This same person sent me another private message, offering me a “gift” by trying to make me feel like something was wrong with me. Her invitation to this so-called gift was “Why do I always feel a wall with you?”
That wall? That’s real. This person felt my energetic boundaries that were up specifically for them and people like them.
That is how I knew all the hard work on creating and reinforcing energetic and spiritual boundaries, as well as physical ones, was working incredibly well. I mean, I had taken such a huge hit to my spirit, heart and body when my son died and yet, here were my energetic and spiritual boundaries giving this person “a wall” they could not pass through. That is from a ton of practice.
Grandmother Joanne Dallaire, the Indigenous elder I go to the most for advice and healing work, always quotes Maya Angelou in saying “When someone shows you who they are, believe them.” I’ve always been a little too “nicey nicey”. One of my coaches called me on that, and Joanne did once too. I’d been getting better about it, but over the years I let people walk all over me in the name of giving them a chance… and another chance… and another chance.
You know those times when you say yes but really want to say no? Or those times when you feel a creepy or needy energy behind someone’s intentions? Believe them. That is what is happening.
That creeped out feeling you feel is your spirit and body telling you this person is hitting your “wall,” your energetic and spiritual boundaries. Then you are at a choice point. Do you let them pass through your boundaries or do you block them? What you choose will be stored in your cell wall for later, so choose mindfully.
If I hadn’t been in shock and grief when that person originally contacted me just days after my son’s death, I would’ve deleted and blocked them from Facebook right away. A few days after that, I did. That’s taking my spiritual boundary to the physical.
You get to decide who and what you let into your world. Not only that, but if you let someone into your world, you can choose if they get to stay or not.
There are 2 main kinds of boundaries: Spiritual/Energetic and Physical. Today’s tips are about the spiritual and energetic kind.
The best kind of spiritual and energetic protection really is just feeling good, or as Abraham-Hicks would say, being in your Vortex. The Medicine Song Oracle Card I pulled about this experience is Medicine Song Visualization Card. Medicine Song is about being in your vortex – feeling good, connected, in the zone, no matter what’s going on outside and around you. But when something happens in your life and you’re feeling “off” or drained from the experience, such as losing a loved one, that’s when you’re vulnerable and your “walls” can weaken or come down.
Here are 8 ways you can create and reinforce energetic boundaries, which act as spiritual protection:
1. Put up a reverse mirror all around your entire aura, especially before having any conversations for the day, whether in person, text, Facetime, phone or zoom. Set your intention to allow in ONLY those energies, beings and people who are aligned with your highest good. Intend that all energy sent to you be mirrored back to whoever is sending it, or neutralized and recycled by Mother Earth. This is not to harm anyone but to prevent the delivery of “mystery gifts” of shame, manipulation, greed, fear, or ill thoughts about you. Mirroring people’s mystery gifts back to them may help them to understand themselves better as well.
2. Cell Wall. My new and favourite way to create and reinforce my energetic and spiritual boundaries is to visualize a cell wall over top of my entire energy system (aura). Think of a cell like we all learned in high school Biology. A call wall’s sole purpose is to allow nutrients in, while clearing out what no longer serves. Nothing else gets in or out. That cell wall knows exactly who and what to allow beyond its boundary. Of course, we humans need to give our energy system’s cell wall appropriate instructions and feedback. We need to listen to our own physical and emotional responses to a person or situation, and give that information to our cell wall with a yes or no.
3. Set your intentions in the morning. Mine are always “I intend that everything I be, do, say, feel, think, believe and act on today be for the highest good of all life everywhere.” You might want to pull a card for the day, if you have a tarot or oracle deck.
4. Use your hands. If I need extra spiritual protection, I might do a bit of ecstatic dance (free-form dance) and use my hands to physically reinforce my energetic boundaries all around me.
5. Create sacred space. #6 is one way. You can also create an altar or just surround yourself with sacred items that put you in a high frequency state, like crystals and stones…
6. Crystals and stones. Sheen Obsidian is amazing at repelling negativity. Most black stones are. Rose quartz and pink kunzite are great for creating an atmosphere of love. Remember to cleanse your mineral friends as well. You can use #4 for that. Not all stones and crystals can take being water cleansed, so just know your stones and give them the care they need. Some, like Kyanite, which balances and clears the chakras, don’t need cleansing.
7. Smudge. Burn culturally appropriate plant medicines for cleansing, like lavender, sage, cedar, frankincense, copal or palo santo. Those medicines will help clear your energy and the energy of your home. You can also use smudge spray as an alternative.
8. Check your own energy. The more in tune you are to yourself, the more you can recognize other people’s energy and intentions coming in. The more you can catch these energies before they take physical form, the better you will feel. Example: me blocking that person on Facebook. How you can tell? If being around someone or reading their messages or hearing their voice makes you feel creeped out or drained or bad, or you feel like you want to run away… those are some ways your body and intuition are letting you know.
Got your own ideas about spiritual protection and energetic boundaries? Insights hitting you right now? Please share on the blog. I’d love to hear about it. (:
Love & Blessings,
Brenda MacIntyre, Medicine Song Woman
- Want to dive right in and get some support? Head over here.
FOLLOW ME ON SPOTIFY – MUSIC FOR THESE CRAZY TIMES:
- Follow My Artist Account on Spotify.
- Follow my Global Pandemic Playlist on Spotify. The studio (CD, not live) version of the songs I sang in the livestreamed concert are also in this playlist.
- Follow the RENEWAL Playlist for springtime on Spotify