The short answer: Sort of – but not really.
It’s like people “throwing bad medicine” or “putting a curse” on you. Nobody can affect you or your energy unless some part of you is somehow open to it. But I’m not saying you or anyone has been just sitting around inviting people to come and take away your voice.
What I am saying is that when we are told to be quiet, forcibly silenced, disempowered, hurt or told negative messages about ourselves or our voice, many of us respond by becoming silent. Not only silent, but angry, fearful and depressed.
So many of us have been silenced in some way or another before we were old enough to recognize what was going on, or do anything about it. And that suppression – plus years of similar experiences added on – has become a heavy weight holding down our spirit – and our voice. BUT…
Nobody can take away your voice.
And nobody can give your voice back to you except You.
By the way, I’m speaking from personal experience here. I grew up feeling like nobody cared what I had to say. My voice was so quiet and small for half my life that just to get someone to hear me, I felt like I was practically yelling.
Many of us have had abusive or traumatic experiences that involved being silenced or told we are not good enough. And we have learned to stifle our own voices to get by in a society that has historically punished us for being truthful or authentic. Talk about mixed messages! We were expected to “tell the truth,” and yet we were not allowed to express the truth that really mattered – our own.
BUT… you still have your voice. You may not think so, but it is there, hidden underneath layers of emotions and truths that we didn’t – and maybe still don’t – feel free to express. And you CAN recover it!!
Believe me, I’ve been there. And you’ve heard my voice – can you imagine me being so quiet that you couldn’t hear me? Didn’t think so!
And I’ve had people throw bad medicine at me. You know what that is? Negative thoughts, beliefs or words said about you PLUS your own beliefs about yourself and how the universe works PLUS your reaction.
Here are some truths for you:
- The more you are in your element, doing something you love, or hanging out with people who support you and feel good to be around, the less anyone’s “bad medicine” can affect you.
- Your voice can not be taken from you.
- Nobody can give your voice back to you except You.
- Our thoughts and beliefs are incredibly powerful and so in order to shift our mindset, we need to flood ourselves with new, positive thoughts and beliefs, and allow ourselves to feel good.
I can’t bring your voice back for you.
But if you want me to help you find your voice and access that true power within you that is *already there*, I can help you do that. Your voice is precious and so are you, no matter what anyone else has told you.
You deserve to have your voice heard, your true power expressed, and your love shared. Have a beautiful week!
Love & Blessings,
Brenda MacIntyre, Medicine Song Woman
- Want to dive right in and get some support? Head over here.
FOLLOW ME ON SPOTIFY – MUSIC FOR THESE CRAZY TIMES:
- Follow My Artist Account on Spotify.
- Follow my Global Pandemic Playlist on Spotify. The studio (CD, not live) version of the songs I sang in the livestreamed concert are also in this playlist.
- Follow the RENEWAL Playlist for springtime on Spotify