So here we are. It’s a global Dark Night of the Soul. But guess what that also means? Mother Earth is going through a Great Re-Awakening and so are we.
I know. It doesn’t change how you feel or what you’re going through or what you’ve been through this year. The reason I share this with you is that we have 4 superpowers as human beings that we can cultivate and use any time to help ourselves and to help others. I’m sure there are many but what emerged during my event The Power of Conscious Music, where I interviewed several conscious musicians and wisdom-keepers were these 4.
Here are the 4 superpowers you already have. Use them wisely.
1. ✨ Connection: We need each other and to feel connected to something greater than ourselves. Even if you’re fully self-isolating, you can still make connections and not just online. Connect with YOU first. That’s the starting point. You are a multi-faceted being, with mind, body, spirit and all kinds of emotions. I just gave a staff training to an organization on resilience and balance and this is why. Take 3 nice deep breaths into your lungs and all the way down to your belly. Now check in with yourself.
Are you aware of your body in this moment? What physical feelings and sensations are you experiencing?
What emotions are you feeling right now?
Are you a spiritual person? Are you in balance with that? Often in crisis, we spiritual people can sometimes either forget that we have that Higher Realms Support available, or go a little overboard and neglect other parts of our lives.
What about your thoughts and beliefs? I know many of you have lost your sense of purpose or feel like it’s even further out of reach, some of you are diving joyfully into your purpose like never before (putting my hand up here) and some of you are just seeking truth and no idea where to find it in the sea of untruths and confusion. The good news is, you’re not the only one, and you don’t have to be in this alone. We are building community right now online so that you will be able to seek sanctuary and get upliftment and support in every season of this global dark night of the soul. Subscribe here to get the first level of ongoing support – absolutely FREE.
2. 🎤 Communication: Music is communication. We are instruments of communication. What and how are we communicating to others? Again, if you go around what we First Nations people call the Medicine Wheel – the 4 directions – how are your communications?
Do you feel confident to speak your truth anywhere with anyone? If not, no need to judge yourself. You’re just becoming more aware of where you’re at. Are you communicating from your head, heart, soul or body? You’re human, so it’s probably a mix. In what areas could you improve your communication skills? Not sure? Ask a relative and they’ll let you know, no problem lol! But seriously, this is a perfect time to practice and improve those skills. The world we’re looking at right now is like a huge pot full of truth and lies. They all seem to look the same but when you take a whiff, you can smell out a lie instantly. But that’s when you’re in alignment with yourself and your truth. Alignment can’t happen until you are communicating with all of you. Your body, mind, spirit and heart.
We were born to express ourselves. We in fact are expressions of Life itself. I know what it’s like to be terrified of speaking your truth. I’ve been teaching women how to find their voice for over 20 years, but I still fall into that fear trap too sometimes especially after losing my son. You can find your way forward into more confident and creative self-expression.
3. 💙 One Love: Speaking of the heart… We are made of love and we are all one. I won’t pretend to know the ins and outs of the Jamaican One Love philosophy but it has always intrigued me ever since I began singing reggae back in the early 90’s. You probably know the song by Bob Marley. If not, go search it up. It’s so beautiful.
This is a time to live and express from our hearts. Unfortunately those whose hearts have been darkened by anger, hatred, racism and in some cases, mental health difficulties, are having their say right now out in the open and it is not pretty. That just means we need to stand strong in our self-love and being in harmony with others and Mother Earth. No matter where you come from, you can tap into that One Love philosophy. My Indigenous take on that is like a song I wrote in the early 90’s called One People. As I’ve learned over and over from my elders, we are all equal in the circle because we all have our unique gifts to share.
Bob Marley sang that song on stage and brought together the two opposing political leaders during a difficult election in the 70’s. I wish I could’ve been there live but the documentary (1984, not the new one) shows Bob Marley bringing both leaders up on stage with him and he gets them to hold hands up high while he’s dancing around them. It’s an incredible goose bump moment. “We’ve got to unite,” he sings. That One Love song and philosophy is – well there are no words. Limits on our oneness are exactly equal to the limits we place on our self-love. Are you willing to open up your heart to those parts of you that maybe you’re not so in love with? Are you willing to let love in?
4. 🙏🏼 Give Thanks: Cultivate gratitude. We know this. We need to deepen our practice of it. How many gratitude moments can you catch yourself in today? Make a game of it. If you keep on filling your mind, body, heart and spirit with gratitude, I’m sure you can guess how good that will feel and how much that will radiate out to others. So go for it!
Brenda MacIntyre, Medicine Song Woman
FOLLOW ME ON SPOTIFY – MUSIC FOR THESE CRAZY TIMES:
- Follow My Artist Account on Spotify.
- Follow my Global Pandemic Playlist on Spotify. The studio (CD, not live) version of the songs I sang in the livestreamed concert are also in this playlist.
- Follow the RENEWAL Playlist for springtime on Spotify