Decision-Making Map #TruthbyBrenda
Torrential downpour + headache + Uber surging like crazy = staying home instead of going to my physio appointment. It’s a toss-up when I have wellness appointments scheduled but the cost financially, physically and emotionally isn’t worth the trip today. I’m thankful that where I go for physiotherapy, naturopathic treatments and the chiropractor, last minute cancellations are okay if needed. My final decision: I’ll just continue doing my physio exercises and go next week.
But how did I arrive at this conclusion? I mean, we human beings are making decisions all the time. Even not making a decision is still a decision to not make a decision!
Making decisions is just not an easy thing to do for most of us, and the bigger the decision, or the higher the impact on us and/or the world, the harder it can be to make.
When I sat down to write this article, based on a Facebook post I had made a few days back, I had no idea I would get a spiritual download of a doodle diagram along with it. So if you’re a visual learner, here you go.
The problem for spiritual edge-walkers like you is, you’re doing your best to make holistic decisions, not just from your heart and soul, but from your head and physical body as well. You’re getting pulled in a million directions!
That can get you into trouble, especially if you aren’t trusting your mind, body, spirit, heart, intuition and Higher Realms Support Team all at once in those decision-making moments. And really, who is?! Of course that is not easy to do… but it is doable. I’ll share with you in a moment how I do it, and you can download my Decision-Making Medicine Wheel Map if it helps to have a visual.
My decision-making process:
I didn’t have this Decision-Making Medicine Wheel Map when I was deciding whether or not to go to physio, but it is very similar to my oracle card system, based on the indigenous Medicine Wheel and the 4 cardinal directions. I’ll highlight where my decision-making steps fall on the map so you can get a sense of how to use it for yourself (and how you’re already probably using it to some degree):
1. Allow your process to unfold. It could be different every time. Don’t judge. Try not to resist. Breathe. Get really present with yourself. And let it roll.
2. You’ve got to start somewhere. Doesn’t matter where! It could be a thought up in your head, a gut feeling, fear that comes up, a deadline, tapping into your spirit guides, hearing someone say something that triggers you, imagining how you will feel with a yes or no, or talking to your mentor. In my example of staying home vs. going to physio, the first place I went was my mind (East), heart (West) and body (North). How would I feel if I were to try and walk in that much rain with my chronic pain? Should I wait it out? Since I don’t drive, I knew I’d have to get an Uber or taxi? Transit would have gotten me there late, so it was no longer a consideration after I looked at the time.
3. Let the questions come. Don’t worry about getting the perfect answers. Worry and perfectionism will stall or mess up any decision, given the chance. As you can see above, and you’ve probably experienced yourself, the mind will engage you in questions at some point in the decision-making process. As you dig deeper and allow more fully, those questions will begin to come from your higher self and/or your spirit guides (I like to call them your HRST – Higher Realms Support Team). As you answer the questions, you’ll get clearer on your decision.
HOT TIP: Here’s where the struggle can come in – getting stuck in your mind or too complicated in your answers. That’s okay too, as long as you recognize it and get back to allowing the process to unfold. What if the Uber takes too long? So I look at the app. Hmmm. Rates have surged to even higher than a taxi. Taxis take a long time to come in the rain. I was relying on my previous history but also taking some action, which puts me in the North on the Map. I began to tap into my intuition: Maybe it would be better to stay home. Then I remember how healing the rain is for my headaches… and I had a headache. Spirit, Heart and Body territory. West, South and North on the Map. So now what? It sounds like I was all over the place, right? Yeah, I was, and that’s just the way it works with me, and maybe with you too.
4. Balance. Once you allow the process to unfold, you will find that you either go into resistance and have to get back into allowing, or you arrive at a decision. If you find yourself in resistance a lot with your decision-making, you are probably not trusting yourself and your Decision-Making Medicine Wheel is out of balance. You haven’t accessed all 4 directions on the Map. Have a look at the Map and see which directions you’ve left behind and see if you can pull them in. If you’re not trusting yourself, you might need to block outer influences from your process. So often they can take over when self-trust is weak. The clues will be in your mind, body, heart or spirit, or maybe in all of those places. Maybe you don’t want to be responsible for the outcome? Maybe you just hate having to make difficult decisions because when you were 15, people were always making decisions for you? Dig and you’ll find out what you need to unlock. YOU are the convergence point in the middle of the Map.
5. If you need help, try a decision-making tool. When I’m really really stuck and I have no idea what to do, I go to my Medicine Song Oracle Cards™. If you have a deck, the Butterfly Spread is great for helping you to make powerful decisions. You could also use a Tarot deck (personally, I love the Motherpeace deck), muscle-testing, a pendulum, or your body as a pendulum. The secret is, it’s still YOU making the decision. These tools can only show you what you (at least some part of you) already know.
So the rest of my process and decision…
I started feeling connected to the rain. Spirit/South. I kept checking Uber rates. North/Action/Body. I thought of self-care and how I could turn this around for myself. East/Mind.
Then the deadline came… the turning point. Either I get a taxi or Uber like NOW or I will be late and it won’t be worth it. So I decide. Not only am I staying home but I will take action for my self-care. I will do the exercises the physiotherapist gave me. I will take some extra time for myself today, to do nothing. If the rain continues I will get out when it’s pouring hard for some spiritual healing (heavy rain can eliminate my headaches if I stand in it).
I want you to get this: You’re off the hook. You can’t make the wrong decision… IF you’re willing to make it right.
I made it RIGHT. I made my decision work for me, so no matter what the outcome, it was the right decision. You know what? It’s ALWAYS the right decision. Your decisions always will lead you to where you need to go next, even if you gave into fear or resistance. Even if there are other people affected by your decision, it’s still the right decision. Maybe Aunt Joan needed to get herself to the airport to increase her self-confidence. Maybe that highway was backed up with an accident. Maybe that thing you said made that person think differently about her behaviour for the first time ever. Maybe it was YOU who needed to learn a different way of doing things, or to learn that you’ll never make the same decision again. Then I hope you learned it!
If you use this as an excuse to make a decision that you know will not be good for you, you can keep on making it right all you want, but it’s a big waste of time when you could’ve been doing something much more fun than continuing in a pattern of struggle and resistance. We all get into those patterns and we can all get ourselves out.
If you feel like you’ve made a mistake or done something stupid, congratulations! Welcome to the human race! But seriously, I don’t believe in mistakes or failures. I believe in learning. You can harvest the teachings and blessings no matter what the outcome.
Feel free to share the Decision-Making Medicine Wheel Map or this article over social media using the links below.
Ready to stop holding back and OWN who you are?
No more hiding. No more holding back. Check out my free Find Your Voice Gift Pack that will instantly boost your confidence, bypass perfectionism and help you speak your truth! You’ll get audio training of a simple spiritual practice, a Medicine Song channelled live, exclusive membership in the Mastermind Circle, and 4 Oracle Messages plus Healing Music. Click here to get instant access!
About Brenda MacIntyre
Medicine Song Woman Brenda MacIntyre, author and artist of the Medicine Song Oracle Cards™ & Music, is a Juno Award-winning singer, motivational speaker, indigenous drummer and wisdom-keeper. Brenda has shared her leadership and soul nationally on stage and in the media, such as MuchMusic, APTN, CTV, CP24, Global and CityTV’s Breakfast Television, as well as CBC Radio. Having experienced major loss and fear of being seen and heard, she is passionate about helping women to bring out their playfulness, edge and inner rebel, so they can live a life brimming with self-authority and soul-satisfying expression.